Large urban trees are excellent filters for urban pollutants and fine particulates. Trees can provide food, such as fruits, nuts and leaves. Spending time near trees improves physical and mental health by increasing energy level and speed of recovery, while decreasing blood pressure and stress. Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30% and save energy used for heating by 20–50%. Trees provide habitat, food and protection to plants and animals, increasing urban biodiversity…planting trees today is essential for future generations!
Follow #UNFAO on social media!
* Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/UNFAO
* Google+ – https://plus.google.com/+UNFAO
* Instagram – https://instagram.com/unfao/
* LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/fao
* Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/faoknowledge
© FAO: http://www.fao.org